Well, Eebee, it appears that disaster follows in my wake too.
- 1898 - USS Maine exploded and sank in Havanna harbour, killing 260 people.
- 1933 - Giuseppe Angara tried to kill Franklin D. Roosevelt, shot at him, missed and instead killed Chicago mayor, Anton J. Cermak.
- 1942 - Singapore fell to the Japanese after the British surrendered, resulting in the capture of 80 000 prisoners of war and the start of the Sook Ching massacre.
- 1961 - Sabena flight 548 crashed in Belguim, resulting in the deaths of the entire United States figure skating team, their coaches and families; 73 deaths in total.
- 1970 - A Dominican DC9 plummetted from the heavens and crashed into the sea during take-off from Santo Domingo; 102 dead.
- 1982 - An oceanic oil rig, Ocean Ranger, sank during a storm off Newfoundland, killing 84.
On the plus side though:
- 1764 - St. Louis, Missouri was established! While this means little to me, I'm sure many of you St. Louis'ians are rather chuffed! ;)
- 1879 - American President Rutherford B. Hayes signed a bill that permitted female attorneys to argue cases before the Supreme Court of the United States. Go women-folk!
- 1971 - Decimalisation of British coinage was completed on Decimal Day. Yay for the Brits! They finally saw the light and converted to a LOGICAL decimal system! 10 points!
- 2003 - The worlds biggest peace protest action against the Iraq war took place in over 600 cities worldwide involving an estimated 8 million to 30 million people taking part!
- 2005 - Youtube was launched in the United States! Where would we be without it!! :D
- Jane Seymour!
- Matt Groening!
- Birdman! (not too proud of that one...)
- Toto (An italian who was really big...in Italy...)
- A whole stack of other folks who might be famous...somewhere...but I know nothing about.