Competition Music!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

On music

Ironically, without intending to do so I have chosen the same topic for today's post as Eebee did for his. Actually, it's not the same exactly, but along similar lines. For me it was all brought about by my arriving at my lab to discover that our cleaning lady, Sarah, was working away at polishing our countertops, with her cell-phone blaring gospel music in that tiny-distorted cell-phone kinda way. While I certainly have nothing against gospel music, I was a little taken aback at the fact that she felt that it was okay to play music in my office while I was trying to work. But I digress...

In addition to the above musical incident, I was listening to the latest Dido album today for the first time. It's really not bad! My friend David had listened to it and warned me that the vast majority of the album was rubbish but there were one or two tracks that were worthwhile. While I certainly think that there are no tracks on the album (so far...) that are nearly as catchy as some of her previous stuff, it's really not as bad as he made it out to be!

After reading Eebee's post about his top 5 most annoying music 'artists', I feel I have to put my ten cents worth in and rant a little. I have to agree that Nickleback has to be one of the most annoying bands on the planet! They have produced a grand total of about 2 original songs, figured 'Hey! This works!' and decided to clone them for the following 6 ALBUMS!!!

Now, no offense to fans, but they also exploit something in every teenage girl which drives me nuts! They write their songs as these soppy lyrics, masquerading as a rock band. Someone, please have a child by them so that they can go the way of all musicians who have children; an subsequent album with songs riddled with soppy titles like, 'My little angel', following which their career takes a nose dive, never to recover. The world would be a better place! I promise!

Then, Coldplay. I think that both Nickleback and Coldplay suffer from the same problem. Neither are able to inject a smidgen of originality into their music! But I shan't repeat the above rant for them too...

Next on my hate-list is Jay-Z. This man is about as musical as a jack-hammer. While I certainly consider most rappers with disdain due to the fact that what they do is NOT music, his tracks in particular irritate me because of their shallowness and lack of variability. While the backtracks for many of them are really quite good, and in some rare cases, generate that instant tapping foot thing that happens with a good beat, the fact that he 'sings' about how awesome he is and how much money he has, makes me sick. How insecure can you be as a person to feel confident about 'singing' your own praises?!

Then there is the beloved Akon. While I take pride in the fact that he is a fellow African and thus feel a certain kinship with the man, and apart from his various inappropriate stage cavortings with underage children, I would compare his voice to that of a toddler having a temper-tantrum. What possessed music executives to sign him on, is beyond me. What also amazes me is how many people actually like his music! It's amazing!

And thus, I shall end my rant. Sorry to any of you readers who are fans. These are just my opinions and I am a firm believer that music taste is an individual matter and shouldn't be a measure of a persons character.

6 comments:

  1. iHATE AKON!

    and also, i really really dislike beyonce. she really cannot sing very well... warble warble

    for a second, i was like - i am not your cleaning lady

    also, i like your new profile picture

    thats all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember Ronal in my lab who played gospel music at full volume from a scratched CD? The pain!

    I kind of like Coldplay. Maybe it's the monotony of it all, but there are days when it's ok to listen to them. Stil hate Dido though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. luke! i gave you an award on m blog!yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen that thing on the internet where someone put two Nickelback songs together to show how stupidly identical they are? Here's part of it on youtube. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear Hear! (or is it Here Here? i never found out...)

    totally agree with you man.

    although i have to say i was a fan of the first coldplay album. lost interest after that.

    Also who the hell names their kid Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your rant about Akon! Argh!

    I do like Coldplay though, but their music videos from the new album are all just so awful that I want to scream!

    ReplyDelete